Grocery Retailer Donated 1,000 meals for Each Quarterback Sack Made by Participating School’s Football Team This Season
SALISBURY, N.C.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Throughout the 2019 college football season, Food Lion Feeds partnered with 11 colleges and universities to help nourish our local neighbors in need. During the season, for every quarterback sack made by the participating college, Food Lion Feeds donated 1,000 meals to the local Feeding America-affiliated food bank.
“At Food Lion, we’re committed to fighting hunger in the towns and cities we serve, and we were cheering on each school to rack up as many sacks as they could to help us in this mission,” said Emma Inman, director of external communications and community relations for Food Lion. “The Sack to Give Back program was a fun and unique way to join with each school and its players to fight hunger across North Carolina, South Carolina and Delaware. We’re proud of the hard work these student athletes did on the field to make sure more of our neighbors can eat this holiday season.”
The participating colleges and the number of meals donated through their team’s sack totals are listed below:
- Appalachian State – (29 sacks), 29,000 Meals Donated to Second Harvest of Northwest NC Food Bank
- Catawba College – (19 sacks), 19,000 Meals Donated to Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina
- Duke University – (30 sacks), 30,000 Meals Donated to Inter-Faith Food Shuttle
- East Carolina University – (23 sacks), 23,000 Meals Donated to Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina
- Elon University – (22 sacks), 22,000 Meals Donated to Second Harvest of Northwest NC Food Bank
- James Madison University – (30 sacks), 30,000 Meals Donated to Blue Ridge Area Food Bank
- North Carolina A&T University – (30 sacks), 30,000 Meals Donated to Second Harvest of Northwest NC Food Bank
- North Carolina State University – (30 sacks), 30,000 Meals Donated to Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina
- University of Delaware – (7 sacks), 7,000 Meals Donated to Food Bank of Delaware
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill – (28 sacks), 28,000 Meals Donated to Inter-Faith Food Shuttle
- Wake Forest University – (30 sacks), 30,000 Meals Donated to Second Harvest of Northwest NC Food Bank
For more information on Food Lion’s commitment to end hunger in the towns and cities it serves through Food Lion Feeds, please visit www.foodlion.com/feeds.
About Food Lion
Food Lion, based in Salisbury, N.C., since 1957, has more than 1,000 stores in 10 Southeastern and Mid-Atlantic states and employs more than 63,000 associates. By leveraging its longstanding heritage of low prices and convenient locations, Food Lion is working to own the easiest full shop grocery experience in the Southeast, anchored by a strong commitment to affordability, freshness and the communities it serves. Through Food Lion Feeds, the company has donated more than 500 million meals to individuals and families since 2014, and has committed to donate 1 billion more meals by 2025. Food Lion is a company of Ahold Delhaize USA, the U.S. division of Zaandam-based Ahold Delhaize. For more information, visit www.foodlion.com.